Symptoms of Acute Polymorphic Psychotic Disorder
This version of psychosis is characterized by a rapid change in the symptoms of a polymorphic delirium of persecution, meaning, with a symbolic interpretation of the environment, a variety of auditory, usually true hallucinations against the background of affect of fear, anxiety, agitation or affective inhibition.
Diagnosis of Acute Polymorphic Psychotic Disorder
- Criteria for acute psychotic disorder.
- Rapid changes in the symptoms of delirium.
- Symptoms of emotional disorders (fear, anxiety, happiness, ecstasy, irritability), confusion and false recognition.
- Delusional interpretation, a change in motor activity.
- Duration no more than 3 months.
It should be differentiated from schizoaffective disorder, psychotic disorders in dependence on psychoactive substances. This psychosis differs from the clinic of schizoaffective disorder in that the period of affective disorders is shorter than productive, with schizoaffective disorder, on the contrary, affective disorders last longer than productive ones. Psychoses, depending on psychoactive substances, usually occur with a changed consciousness, and after them there is partial amnesia, which is not typical for this psychosis.
Treatment of Acute Polymorphic Psychotic Disorder
In the treatment it is necessary to use detoxification therapy, antipsychotics in medium and sometimes in maximum doses.